Sunday, December 24, 2006

J. Geils Band's 'Floyd's Hotel': A place to get our poetic souls back



For Christmas, I got myself The Morning After, the 1971 album by my favorite band to see in concert in my teens, the J. Geils Band. In those 70s, some of us from Massachusetts had good friends from Manchester, NH. And I remember one time being in a car heading home from Montreal, with a mix of us as we all got into singing and swaying to the song "Floyd's Hotel," a song written about a New Hampshire hotel, done by the Massachusetts-based band. I have many J. Geils albums, the early albums, and the concert ones mainly, in a box down in my basement--but never got this one, and always should have.

Another thought, in watching the video below, it occurs to me that the latest American Idol, Taylor Hicks, has a similar energy to Peter Wolf. This makes me wonder if there is an influence there. I have no inclination to go see Hicks in concert or buy his albums. The reason might be that he comes across too pop. R&B and Rock 'n Roll, versus pop, are rooted in the realities and hard core emotions of life, which include such a hotel as Floyd's and the encounters there. The song enters that world, becomes an anthem for it, and speaks from it. It may turn out to be too "bold" a move for someone like Hicks to do, even if he wanted to. Maybe Hicks has sold his R&B soul to the American Idol devil.

Now, we come back full circle to J. Geils, and whether the band sold their souls in their later albums. The song "Centerfold", a song I would not buy, does not address human sexuality the same way as "Floyd's Hotel." How do you get from "South Side Shuffle" to "Freeze Frame"? One answer might be through the Love Stinks album. Other answers, though, might be through the easy life or the desire for the popularity of pop. Do we need to forgive the band for selling out before they broke up? And, if so, do we forgive Geils and Hicks alike?

The difference between the tightrope Taylor Hicks is walking, and the J. Geils Band's historic journey, is in what Geils demonstrated: that it could be done. J. Geils Band represented the artistry, or should I say the poetry of all R&B artists, in showing that they could do other types of perimeter-inspired poetry as well. "Freeze Frame" and "Centerfold" are standards that will survive in pop culture far beyond we who are living today, as will the band's blues rock survive for R&B seekers in forthcoming generations.

The best pop artists, the ones selling the most records, are not doing it because they do it better. That's settled now. The challenge Peter Wolf and the J. Geils Band has for any pop band or singer, is can they now, with their talents, sing from their for-real souls, as well as from their musical abilities. When and if Taylor Hicks can get his pop standards up for forthcoming generations, he will still need to return to his music for his soul.


_____





The above performance of "Floyd's Hotel" is from BBC TV's Old Grey Whistle Test on January 9th, 1973. I have not been able to transcribe the words precisely. Below is what I am hearing. But I cannot make out the first few words, so I include the words from the album "The Morning After" in parentheses, like so:

(She had big rosy red) hips, oh nice and round
Red rosy lips, you know they really got me down


I know very well that that is incorrect, as the progression itself is altered. This is what is on the album:

She had big rosy red hips really knocks them right on
She had juicy red lips that really laid me down


It is interesting to hear how the progressions are different from the album in 1971 to the 1973 rendition. What has come out, and been replaced is this:

Smilin' Jim, he's the cat that checks you in
Big fat Smilin' Jim, you know he signs you in
Don't ask where you goin'
He don't care where you been


What we have instead, is the Hyde Park stanza below.

If you hear it better, let me know. I am open to corrections.


_____




performed by J. Geils Band
      Stephen Jo Bladd, drums
      Magic Dick, harp
      J. Geils, guitar
      Seth Justman, keyboard
      Danny Klein, bass
      Peter Wolf, vocals


written by
      Seth Justman
      Peter Wolf
      & of course, Juke-Joint-Walden



Floyd's Hotel


(She had big rosy red) hips, oh nice and round
Red rosy lips, you know they really got me down
She stuck me in a taxi
And drove me way across town

She got me down, down to Floyd's Hotel
She got me down, down to Floyd's Hotel
Lotta cheap rooms
Always something nice to sell

Fellow there, you know they call him Tyrone
Fellow there, you know they call him Tyrone
He don't care where you go
Always leave you alone

Met a fellow hanging out in Hyde Park
Walking around Hyde Park, met a fellow called Tyrone
That was his name--gave him five quid
You know he really turned me on

Going down, down to Floyd's Hotel
I'm going down, down to Floyd's Hotel
Lotta cheap rooms
Always something nice to sell


_____

2 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i need to know the name of the J Geils Album that was a Red record.

 
At 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloodshot !!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Stats