Monday, October 02, 2006

Mark Doty Physically: "Heaven for Paul"

a Margaretta Mitchell photograph




by Mark Doty


      Heaven for Paul


The flight attendant said:
We have a mechanical problem with the plane,
and we have contacted the FAA for advice,


and then: We will be making an emergency landing in Detroit,

and then: We will be landing at an air force base in Dayton,
because there is a long runway there, and because
there will be a lot of help on the ground.


Her voice broke slightly on the word help,
and she switched off the microphone, hung it back on its hook,
turned to face those of us seated near her,
and began to weep.

Could the message have been more clear?
Around us people began to cry themselves,
or to pray quietly, or to speak to those with whom
they were travelling, saying the things that people
would choose to say to one another before
an impending accident of uncertain proportions.

It was impossible to hear, really, the details
of their conversations--it would have been wrong to try--
but one understood the import of the tones of voice
everywhere around us, and we turned to each other,

as if there should have been some profound things to be imparted,
but what was to be said seemed so obvious and clear:
that we'd had a fine few years, that we were terrified
for the fate of our own bodies and each other's,
and didn't want to suffer, and could not imagine

the half-hour ahead of us. We were crying a little
and holding each other's hands, on the armrest;
I was vaguely aware of a woman behind us, on the aisle,
who was startled at the sight of two men holding hands,

and I wondered how it could matter to her, now,
on the verge of this life--and then I wondered how it could matter to me,
that she was startled, when I flared on that same margin.

The flight attendant instructed us in how to brace
for a crash landing--to remove our glasses and shoes
and put our heads down, as we did long ago, in school,
in the old days of civil defence. We sat together, quietly.
And this is what amazed me: Paul,

who of the two of us is the more nervous,
the less steadily grounded in his own body,
became completely calm. Later he told me

how he visualised his own spirit
stepping from the flames, and visited,
in his picturing, each person he loved,
and made his contact and peace with each one,

and then imagined himself turning toward
what came next, an unseeable ahead.
                                                                For me,
it wasn't like that at all. I had no internal composure,

and any ideas I'd ever entertained about dying
seemed merely that, speculations flown now
while my mind spiraled in a hopeless sorrowful motion,

sure I'd merely be that undulant fuel haze
in the air over the runway, hot chemical exhaust,
atomised, no idea what had happened to me,

what to do next, and how much of the next life
would I spend (as I have how much of this one?)
hanging around an airport. I thought of my dog,

and who'd care for him. No heaven for me,
only the unimaginable shape of not-myself--
and in the chaos of that expectation,

without compassion, unwilling,
I couldn't think beyond my own dissolution.
What was the world without me to see it?

And while Paul grew increasingly radiant,

the flight attendant told us it was time to crouch
into the positions we had rehearsed,
the plane began to descend, wobbling,

and the tires screeched against the runway,
burning down all but a few feet of five miles of asphalt
before it rolled its way to a halt.

We looked around us, we let go
the long held breath, the sighs and exhalations,
Paul exhausted from the effort of transcendence,

myself too pleased to be breathing to be vexed
with my own failure, and we were still sitting and beginning to laugh
when the doors of the plane burst open,

and large uniformed firemen came rushing down the aisles,
shouting: Everybody off the plane, now, bring nothing with you,
leave the plane immediately


--because, as we'd learn in the basement
of the hangar where they'd brought us,
a line of tornadoes was scouring western Ohio,
approaching the runway we'd fled.

At this point it seemed plain: if God intervenes
in history, it's either to torment us
or to make us laugh, or both, which is how

we faced the imminence of our deaths the second time.
I didn't think once about my soul, as we waited in line,
filing into the hangar, down into the shelter

--where, after a long while, the National Guard would bring us
boxes and boxes of pizza, and much later, transport us, in buses,
to complimentary hotel rooms in Cincinnati.


_____



"Heaven for Paul" comes to you here, following a conversation with Mark Doty at this year's Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival. It is from his 2005 book School of the Arts, published by and available through HarperCollins Publishers.

Here is a link to his web site: Mark Doty


_____



I will keep exegesis to a minimum below. Instead, I want the poet to present the poem through his own speaking, through a spoken reading of "Heaven for Paul" that took place in 2004, before the book came out. First, though, we'll look at an excerpt from an interview with Mark Doty found through the Audio page on his web site.

The idea in this presentation, then, is to first present "Heaven for Paul" as a poem to be read and valued off the page as above, however you had come to it; then to garner some ideas from listening to the poet, which I will take a brief tangent from; and then to listen to him read. Thus, we will have tarried with the poem and poet for a little extra time.

Here is the link to the the web page, where you can click onto a RealAudio broadcast of the interview:

Mark Doty on WBUR's The Connection, in an interview with Dick Gordon, discussing SOURCE, Walt Whitman, and the complexities of writing about contemporary American life, recorded in March, 2003

At 6 minutes and 32 seconds into the interview, this conversation takes place:

Dick Gordon: Mark, when you compose your poetry, do you do it out loud?

Mark Doty: I begin scribbling in notebooks--makings of random notes on the computer screen--and very quickly I find myself mouthing those words, wanting to feel the language in the muscles of my jaw and in my tongue. And pretty soon, I am muttering to myself at my desk, and frequently taken for a person who's a little too far gone into his inner life in public spaces.

DG: But, they're written to be read out loud.

MD: They're written to be heard. And even when we read a poem alone, I hope that what's happening is that there's a subtle kind of sounding going on, that we're physically participating in those words, in the sonic texture of the verse. Poetry lives to be physical, to be in our bodies.


In an edited version of an address to the National Library of Australia's literature conference, "Love and Desire", published last week in The Age as The write of way with a reader, Dave Malouf writes the following:

When we speak of being unable to put a book down, it isn't that we can't wait to find out what happens next. It's that we don't want to give up the close and quite tender intimacy that has been established; we do not want to break the spell.

When Doty says "that we're physically participating in those words, in the sonic texture of the verse" and that poetry "lives to be physical, to be in our bodies," he is saying to me that there is to be a physical intimacy between the poet and the listener (or reader as it were) of the poem. In listening to the sound of Doty's voice, even in conversation with Dick Gordon, what stands out is how he articulates his words beyond the syllable level into each letter, each "t", each "n" that precedes a "d", the whistling "'s"--in physical enunciation.

This physicality shows thematically in Doty's poetry as well. In "Heaven for Paul", via the communication of crying, for instance--the stewardess wept, and the poem goes on, "people began to cry themselves." There is the scene with "two men holding hands," (each holding each, therefore), but also what ensued, that this "startled" a woman, how the speaker wondered "how it could matter to her" and then, on her reaction, "how it could matter to me" (each mattering to each, therefore)--a repeated and operant word of physicality being matter.

Doty becomes playful with taking us in and out of what we might think at first wouldn't be, but then must be physical: disappearance from this world:

sure I'd merely be that undulant fuel haze
in the air over the runway, hot chemical exhaust,
atomised, no idea what had happened to me,


And doesn't he bring Paul's heaven and trancendence physically to Paul, and to us readers in such a way that we physically understand?

Here, from the Poem Present series is the Mark Doty poetry reading, in which "Heaven for Paul" begins just over 24 minutes in:

Podcast #38. Poetry reading by Mark Doty: A poetry reading by Mark Doty as part of the Poem Present series at The University of Chicago. © 2004 The University of Chicago (mp3)

It is a preview reading from his latest book School of the Arts.


_____






School of the Arts, at HarperCollins




_____

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger petergarner said...

Wow, that is one powerful poem. It really hit home for me, especially after the overpass collapse that happened here last weekend. I keep thinking about lives snuffed out in an instant, and the randomness of death. This poem is the perfect complement to my musings of late. Thanks for posting it, and for the link to the Poem Present podcast. I have just now subscribed.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Lisa Cohen said...

As I read it, I could hear Mark Doty's voice in my mind. Hearing him read and speak about poetry was one of my personal Dodge highlights.

I'm sorry our path's didn't cross this time.

best,
Lisa

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Rus Bowden said...

Hi Peter,

Isn't that something? It turns out that it is a poem of disasters in general. I hadn't really thought of it that way. Yes.

Thanks.

Bud.

~~~~~~

Hi Lisa,

What a terrific reader. In the post, I was going to get into how Doty reads differently from other poets, say Gluck and Collins, or even Stern . . . or the cookie-cutter readers with their syllable-cued voice inflections . . . how it can say much about the poet's concept of what a poem is, where it comes from, so where the poem should sound from. And then I realized that that is a whole blog entry unto itself.

I am very glad our paths crossed. It was great to finally meet you.

I'd like to put together a blog post about Ko Un too. I was down by the waterway in the afternoon, while the poetry crowds were in or around the main tent, and he was walking toward me with his wife. We greeted each other--terrific couple.

Bud

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Stats