Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Henry Louis Stephens' Death and Burial of Poor Cock Robin



From Original Designs by

H. L. STEPHENS

NEW-YORK.

Published by Hurd & Houghton.

401 Broadway cor. Walker St.

1865.


Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1864 by H. Stern in the Clerk's Office
of the District Court of the United States, for the Southern District of New York.


Lithographed & Printed

BY

JULIUS BIEN

24 Vesey St. New York


________________________





Who killed Cock Robin?
I, said the Sparrow,
With my bow and arrow,
I kill'd Cock Robin.




Who saw him die?
I, said the Fly,
With my little eye,
I saw him die.




Who caught his blood?
I, said the Fish,
With my little dish,
I caught his blood.




Who'll make his shroud?
I, said the Beetle,
With my thread and needle,
I'll make his shroud.




Who'll dig his grave?
I, said the Owl,
With my spade and trowel,
I'll dig his grave.




Who'll bear the pall?
We, said the Wren,
Both the Cock and the Hen,
We'll bear the pall.




Who'll carry him to the grave?
I, said the Kite,
If it's not in the night,
I'll carry him to the grave.




Who'll be the Parson?
I, said the Rook,
With my little book,
I'll be the Parson.




Who'll sing a Psalm?
I, said the Thrush,
As he sat in the bush,
I'll sing a Psalm?




Who'll be the Clerk?
I, said the Lark,
If it's not in the dark,
I'll be the Clerk.




Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the Dove,
Because I mourned for my love,
I'll be chief mourner.




Who'll carry the link?
I, said the Linnet,
I'll fetch it in a minute,
I'll carry the link.




Who'll toll the bell?
I, said the Bull,
Because I can pull,
I'll toll the bell.




All the birds in the air
Fell to sighing and sobbing
When they heard the bell
For poor Cock Robin.




While the cruel Cock Sparrow,
The cause of their grief,
Was hung on a gibbet
Next day, like a thief.





from The Project Gutenberg

2 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to say HELLO !

Happy to visit your blog.

Greetings from Belgium.

Reno

 
At 10:08 PM, Blogger Rus Bowden said...

Hi Reno,

Hello to you! Greetings from New England.

Thanks for stopping by, and leaving a note behind.

Interesting blog you have.

Bud

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Stats