Monday, May 29, 2006

Will the Soul Patrol get behind Pinsky?

Last week, it was Katharine McPhee & Taylor Hicks.

But it was also Paul Muldoon & Thylias Moss, who each had 15 minutes to write a poem directly following being given the theme. Online right now, you can see how their poems developed on the page, how and when each letter went up, and the editing as it was done.

Tomorrow night at 9:00PM Eastern, it will be Julianna Baggott & Robert Pinsky at Quick Muse.

Read all about it in the NYT here: On Your Marks, Get Set, Poeticize: Dueling Poets on the Web.

Soul Patrol! Whooooo!

2 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Carl Bryant said...

I watched the poems unfold, and I'm humbled by my own (apparently) excessive use of the backspace key.

I love this concept. It's fascinating to watch a (hasty) poem from start to (somewhat) finish.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Rus Bowden said...

Hi Carl,

Muldoon wrote it like each line is how it's going to be, with very little revising, a little stanza play at the end, and the insertion of words.

I would have been reworking the lines as I go down the page. In other words, certainly by the time I reach a line 5, unless I'm just flowing to a necessary point in fear of losing some construct, line 1 has been redone a few times, with new breaks, maybe even replaced or deleted, wordings are being worked in for flow and meaning. I would not have been satisfied, for instance, with his first sentence during its writing, and i wonder if he is and was. I might have left it for a breather, but if I could not break it up and make it more solid, I would have been giving it a great attempt, to the point of working it furiously if need be.

In the end, we have a really neat musing, that needs to be worked into a really neat poem. And I wonder, if in a few months, we won't see this very musing pop up in some publication somewhere.

Think of it more as a bud than a bloom.

Bud

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Stats